It can take some time to get into a routine for everyone once summer ends, especially after a few months spent in and around Tampa Bay. Here are some things to include in your school routine throughout the year.
- Focus on the good things that happen during the day like their favorite class or sitting with a friend at lunch.
- Remind your nervous or shy child that other kids are nervous too.
- Point out the positives of going back like seeing old friends and making new ones.
- Help your child choose a comfortable backpack that’s easy to carry.
- Pack their backpack as lightly as possible. With older kids, this may mean cleaning out the backpack once a week.
- Remind them that using both straps will keep their back and shoulders from hurting and make carrying their backpack easier.
- Help your kids organize their backpack so that the heaviest items are at the bottom.
- Encourage your child to use their locker and only carry around what’s necessary.
- If they take the bus, make sure they know which bus is their’s, and what time to be at their stop in the morning. Try to keep up with any changes like new drivers, especially if your child is shy with new people.
- For parents who drop their kids off at the bus stop, give yourself a few extra minutes - especially at the beginning of the school year - in case you run late or the bus runs early.
- If riding in a car, make sure you and your children are both comfortable with the driver if it’s not you or your child’s other parent.
- Remind your child to always wear their seatbelt.
- Know the pick-up and drop-off times as well as where to go at the school if you’re driving your children. It can take a few weeks for this to become easier but when it does, drop-off and pick-up can be a breeze.
- Make sure bikers and walkers know the route to school, can and will follow all traffic laws, and listen to and respect crossing guards.
The first day of school is an exciting time, even if your kids don’t completely agree. It’s the rest of the school year that can get a little stressful if you’re not careful. If you can establish strong routines now, you and your kids can get through the year a little easier. With less to stress about, you can spend your weekends enjoy the beautiful Tampa weather and everything the area has to offer.
Ready to move your family to a new neighborhood with great schools? We can help!