No matter how many times you’ve done this, it’s always good to have a list to help you. Use our checklist to help protect your home during the hot, humid Tampa spring and summer. You can spend your time up north with less to worry about and come back next winter with even less to do.
- Seal cracks around your windows and doors to keep as much hot, humid air and any pests out as you can.
- Have your air conditioner serviced before you leave so you know it will work while you’re gone.
- Prepare to run your air conditioning system about two hours a day to keep humidity low in your home. Too much humidity leads to mold and mildew growth.
- Get rid of all perishable food and any open containers.
- Clean your kitchen and bathroom thoroughly, making sure to dry all surfaces.
- If you unplug your refrigerator for the summer, remember to prop open the door to prevent mold growth.
- Turn off and unplug as many electrical devices as possible.
- Consider a smart thermostat. You’ll be able to program it to run at optimal times of day while also being able to monitor your system from your smartphone or computer.
- Remove debris from your roof and clean the gutters. Repair any damage as well.
- Turn off water valves at the washing machine and hot water heater. Also, turn off water at the emergency cut-off valve. This prevents leaks and possible flooding.
- Work with a management company or trusted friend to keep an eye on your home while you’re gone.
- If you have a lawn, clean it up before you leave. Work with a lawn maintenance or landscaping company to take care of it while you’re gone.
- Cover your toilets with plastic wrap. This prevents any pests from crawling up the pipes and into your home.
- Don’t forget to forward your mail, cancel the paper, and call the cable company to temporarily stop service.
Preparing now, before you leave, will make your return south next winter much more pleasant. You’ll prevent unnecessary damage and keep the pests out of your home. Next winter when you get back, move-in will be a breeze, and you’ll be enjoying the beautiful Tampa weather in no time.
Thinking of buying your Florida vacation home? We can help.